Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Carvaggio Study, continued

In a previous post, I mentioned I had started a Caravaggio study. I am posting pics of the last several sittings here to see the progress. As a student of oil painting, I find these studies very educational as it forces me to focus on technical details of the painting that are hard to see if you just look at it. I started this originally as just an effot to "draw" the figures in darks and lights and now I have begun to glaze some color. I'm pretty close to being done with the study as my goal was not to "perfectly" render this (since I can't!), but to understand some techniques better and learn what I need to work on next to advance my skill. Also, it should be noted that there is a huge difference between painting a picture or painting a painting and drawing from real life in terms of difficulty and approach. In a study like this, I find that I am really just focused on how the other artist rendered the subject rather than on rendering the subject the way I would see it. (I should also mention that these pics were taken with an i-phone and the quality of the photos generally suck.)





2 comments:

  1. They look excellent to me.

    The original Caravaggio is gorgeous. Wonderfully bright lighting. Such precise, delineated boundaries make it incredibly bold and clear. I really like Jesus's facial expression and demeanor; very serious, calm, brave, reflective; the antithesis of a hysterical James Taggart expression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, my attraction to this painting was Jesus's facial expression. The resignation and sadness during a moment of profound betrayal. Of course, I'm trying to learn how to draw different facial expressions, and a black and white of this picture was in the drawing book, so I decided to undertake this study (which got sort of out of control as I tried to do more and more...) Caravaggio's technique is off the charts - so many were influenced by him, use of light and dark - truly outstanding - someday, it will be great to see this picture in person, I will probably spend an hour staring at it

    ReplyDelete